Friday, June 15, 2012

Epic Australian Road Trip: Crossing the Nullarbor Plain

In my opinion the only way to experience the vastness of Australia is by driving. There is one main highway on the continent: Highway 1, which is the longest national highway in the world. It circumnavigates the country, connecting all mainland capitals. If you've got time on your side and a car at your disposal, it is the ideal way to see most of the country.

Fortunately when I was in Australia last year, I had both. In order to complete my plans of circumnavigating Australia I had to do a lot of driving, including driving in some very remote parts. This is when it becomes fun for me. I don't like driving in crowded cities or on highways full of traffic, but I absolutely love road trips. I like not having a clue when or where you'll be sleeping at night, cooking simple food on stoves and watching sunsets. But most of all I like the freedom that comes with road trips, the ability to change your mind every second and to do whatever you want whenever you want. I'm addicted to it.

If you have a car and you want to get to Perth, which is the second most remote city on earth, there is only one road to get you there. Highway 1.
It's the fastest and shortest road from Adelaide to Perth. The other option is taking a 4,500 kilometre detour via Alice Spring in the Red Centre of the continent and Darwin in the far north. If you choose to do that and enter Perth from the north, this route will also take you along the stunning Western Australian coastline.

The road from Adelaide runs through the massive Nullarbor Plain. It's the world's largest single piece of limestone and covers an area of 200,000 square kilometres.
The drive from east to west is about 1,200 kilometres long. There are no towns in between. The only places to refuel, get supplies and get a room to sleep are the roadhouses, which are roughly 150 to 200 kilometres apart. It's a long, long drive. It took me three full days to cross. 
I can honestly say that preparation and rest are the keys to successfully complete this journey. Temperatures can be scorching and the road is mostly straight, which is a dangerous combination if you don't get enough rest. Falling asleep while driving has been the cause of many accidents.
The morning I left Ceduna I had stocked up on food, fuel and, most importantly, water. I carried 40 liters of water. You don't want to be stuck in a treeless desert with a broken car 100 kilometres from the next roadhouse without a decent supply of water.
During my trip it was mostly cloudy. Still warm though, but without the sun burning and turning the car into an oven (I didn't have A/C). This made the drive way more comfortable than I originally expected.

When the driving can be boring sometimes, there actually are a number of interesting sights along the way. A great way to get some rest, fresh air and stretch your legs.
I truely loved crossing the Nullarbor. Music playing loud (there's no radio signal, so you have to provide your own music), eyes focused on the horizon and just eating up the kilometres, greeting the occasional crossing car, sleeping in basic rest areas in the bush,...

It lets you experience the essence of Australian Outback and the vastness of the country.



It really is an epic road trip and something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In my opinion the only way to experience the vastness of Australia is by driving.” – I most certainly agree. Although taking a plane is less tiring, driving and hitting the road is much more exciting. It would be a shame to miss all the breathtaking sights. (Katelyn Williams)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...